We are seeking a passionate and experienced licensed California civil engineer with a special interest in working on local municipal policy, funding (fees, taxes and assessments) and infrastructure. This is not a typical civil engineering position. The candidate must possess strong analytical skills, but also have solid policy acumen, political savvy and an over-riding passion to improve California communities. This is a pivotal role that has the potential to evolve into an executive level position.
Although this role does not include designing and building infrastructure, it is a key role in determining fair and equitable rates for funding for projects in growth areas for our company, such as stormwater, groundwater, and flood control; as well as other projects such as parks and recreation, fire protection, and more. This is an excellent opportunity to be a key participant in the improvement of local communities throughout California.
Our company is well-poised for considerable growth over the next 5 years, doubling our staffing and revenue. Our headquarters are in Fairfield, CA and we are primarily working semi-remotely now and likely into the future. However, there will be a transition period for the candidate to be in the office to learn and absorb our strong cooperative company culture.
Come join our amazing company for a dynamic and fascinating career and do important work to improve California.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead policy and /or funding projects with the following tasks:
- Project planning, management and timelines
- Engineering and financial research and analysis
- GIS mapping
- Database utilization
- Engineering analysis consistent with Propositions 13, 26 and 218
- Public speaking in a government forum
- Development of engineer’s reports, resolutions, ordinances, notices, ballots, and other documents
- Public opinion polling projects, including development of surveys and questionnaires
- Community outreach and volunteer management
- Project proposal writing and contract management
- Projects may be in the following focus areas: storm drainage, flood control, groundwater sustainability, water, utility undergrounding, mosquito and vector control, vacant property taxes, landscape and lighting, parks and recreation, wildland fire protection, local cannabis policy, other special projects
- Management and training of employees
- Business development
- Client contact
- Annual administration of fees, taxes, and assessments
- Licensed California Civil Engineer – (Experienced Rate/Fee consultant may be considered)
- 5-20 years of work experience
- Lives in California and willingness to travel for projects located throughout California (most travel will be day trips and will not require an overnight stay)
- Strong public speaking ability
- Ability to effectively execute many projects and tasks in parallel
- Excellent communication and documentation skills with ability to understand complex problems and distill the message into a clear plan
- Communicate with technical and non-technical team members effectively
- Positive, enthusiastic, fast learner, can-do mindset and passionate about improving local communities
- Thrives under pressure and in ambiguous environments