Public Agencies and Marijuana
Beyond the Basics – Next Steps and Strategies for Successful Implementation of Cannabis-Related Taxes and Regulations
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. / Northern California
Location: Hyatt House Pleasant Hill, 2611 Contra Costa Blvd, Pleasant Hill, California 94523
Registration fee: $249 until June 6th; $299 after June 6th – includes lunch.
Speakers include: Neil Hall, SCI Consulting Group; John Bliss, President; Arcelia Herrera, Senior Consultant; Kyle Tankard Senior Consultant, SCI Consulting Group; Dr. Donald Land, Steep Hill Labs; Jamie Kerr, Founder and CFO, 530 Collective.
With SB 94 and new State cannabis regulations released late last year by the Bureau of Cannabis Control, the Department of Public Health and the Department of Food and Agriculture, it’s easy to forget that California was the first state to approve medical use of cannabis in 1996 – over 20 years ago. From Long Beach to Vallejo, and Santa Rosa to San Diego, California public agencies continue to implement access to medicinal cannabis in their communities and to explore the implementation of Proposition 64 and succeeding regulations.
When the Governor signed SB 94, integrating medicinal cannabis with Proposition 64, another layer was added to the already complex set of regulations that cities and counties face.
In this all-day workshop, we share detailed best practices and lessons learned from Colorado, Oregon and Washington as well as numerous public agencies in California. This workshop provides critical, “real-world” steps and important strategies that will help local public agencies develop and implement effective cannabis taxation and regulation for their jurisdiction. This one-day intensive workshop will provide:
- An overview of the current status of medical and non-medical adult use of marijuana in California
- A syllabus that documents specific steps public agencies need to take and when to take them
- Tools to analyze and assess community’s and stakeholder’s attitudes and preferences for cannabis – medical and recreational
- Discussion of pros and cons of various tax mechanisms
- Preparation for public hearings: training and strategies to help elected officials avoid common pitfalls of public hearings on cannabis
- A health and safety regulations matrix for public agencies
- Compliance and monitoring essentials
Southern California: Wednesday, November 15, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Northern California: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Southern California: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Central California: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Southern California: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Southern California: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Northern California: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.