Public Agencies and Marijuana:
Beyond the Basics – Next Steps and Strategies for Successful Implementation of Cannabis-Related Taxes and Regulations
Southern California: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Central California: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Northern California: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Southern California: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Northern California: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Southern California: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Central California: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Southern California: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Northern California: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Speakers include: John Bliss, SCI Consulting Group; Neil Hall, SCI Consulting Group; Dr. Raquel Keledjian, pH Solutions, Testing Laboratory; Andrew Yoon, CEO Xtractor Depot, Cannabis Extraction Manufacturing Equipment
With all the recent changes in medical cannabis regulations and voter approval of Proposition 64, it’s easy to forget that California was the first state to approve medical use of cannabis in 1996 – over 20 years ago. From Long Beach to Vallejo, and Santa Rosa to San Diego, California public agencies continue to implement access to medical cannabis in their communities and to explore the implementation of Proposition 64.In June, the Governor signed SB 94, integrating medical cannabis with Proposition 64 and adding another layer to the already complex set of regulations that cities and counties face.
In this all-day workshop, detailed best practices and lessons learned from Colorado, Oregon and Washington as well as numerous public agencies in California will be presented. This workshop provides critical, “real-world” steps and important strategies that will help local public agencies develop and implement effective cannabis taxation and regulation for their jurisdiction. This one-day intensive workshop will provide:
- An overview of the current status of medical and non-medical adult use of marijuana in California
- A syllabus that documents specific steps public agencies need to take and when to take them
- Tools to analyze and assess community’s and stakeholder’s attitudes and preferences for cannabis - medical and recreational
- Discussion of pros and cons of various tax mechanisms
- Preparation for public hearings: training and strategies to help elected officials avoid common pitfalls of public hearings on cannabis
- A health and safety regulations matrix for public agencies
- Compliance and monitoring essentials